Canon Diggens Archive
|The Manors of St. Keverne
|Manor of St. Keverne||Col. Sir Vyvyan|
|ditto.||Mr. A.R. Thomas|
|Mr. John Rogers|
|P.D. Williams Esq.|
|Traboe||Sir Lewis Molesworth|
|Lanarth||P.D. Williams, Esq.|
|Trelan||John Williams, Esq|
|Trelanvean||Van Grutten, Esq.|
|Roskorwell||Col. Sir Vyvyan|
Lanarth (Lanarch, Lan-avith).
The principal place in the parish was for 150 years the property of the Sandys. Rev. Sampson Sandy of Landewednack lived here till he was 82. He was grandson to the gentleman who escaped to France under the name of Sanns as related by Hals.
Sanns appears to be the original name of the family till they adopted the name and arms of the Sandys of Ombersley.
Mr. Sampson Sandys was succeeded at Lanarth by his nephew Col. Sandys who rebuilt the mansion and restored the grounds. He appropriated a portion of the house as a chapel (in which he preached) and as a Sunday School.
Early in the 17th Century, two brothers of the name of Sanns were seated in this parish. William the elder inherited estate at Nambol where he attached to the mansion a domestic chapel. Anthony brother of William purchased the estate of Lanarth from the Kenshons (one of whom married the niece of the Prior of Bodmin in the reign of Henry VIII), The purchase took place in l6l7 and Anthony made it his home,
By his Will, June 6th 1649 the mansion and lands came into the possession of his son Sampson, who sent three of his six sons to fight in the Civil War. That these men were powerful supporters of the king may be judged from the fact that, being compelled to fly, one of them was sought for with great perseverance during several days while he hid himself among the rocks at Pengarrock
John the second son of Sampson, succeeded his father at Lanarth. He figures in Hals History, who states that he married Hanbly of St. Neots. Another account mentions a marriage with Mary Pearce in 1697 by whom he bad three sons:
William the eldest. Died at Lanarth in 1765.
Richard the youngest resided at Helston, and his son William became Vicar of St. Minver.
William had no child and the property was left to John Warren, Esq. who assumed the name and arms of Sandys.
Sampson, John's second son married Philipa daughter of George Thomas of Grugith, and their eldest son, Sampson became a clergyman. He married Eleanor Anthony of Tregowris. Their daughter married Admiral Kempthorne, while John, John's fourth son became Commander of "The Norfolk" East India- man. He died 1774 leaving one son. Major Edward Sandys.
William, before mentioned) had a numerous family among whom were Colonel William Sandys born 1759 who acted some time as adjutant General under Lord Wellesley in India.
His son William Digby Sandys born in Calcutta, Sept 25th 1795, died at Lanarth Sept 25 1814. Colonel Sandys died Aug 21 1829.
In the Old Hearth Tax Assessment we find George Sands is rated on four hearths. Sampson Sands on five, John Sans Senior on three.
The Hearth Tax was a fair standard for estimating the relative measure of comfort and income of those assessed.
This estate like others in the parish is mentioned very early in The Feet of Fines. At Westminster Ed 1.25 June 1289 the following occurs:
Between Michael Ie Petit (claimant) and John Ie Petit (deforciant) as to 4 messauges 2 mills 4 acres of land 10/6 rent in Lanhergham (Lanarth) Treyevyon and Tregredeon in Cury.
John acknowledged tenements to be the right of Michael as by gift of John.
Again in Ed III. 11 May 1555 is recorded a dispute concerning Choon (Lanarth), Before Robert de Thorpe, John Stanford were John de Tresiain and Isabella his wife and John Babernon (claimants) and John de Molton 'chevaler' deforciant as to 16 messuages, 1 mill, 1 dovecot, 25 furlongs of land 40 rent in Chiwen (Choon) Gwyk in Manaccan and St. Kevern.
John de Molton acknowledged tenements and common to be the right of John de Tremain and Isabella and John Dabernoun.
Trebarveth (Lercedekene alias Archdekne).
The first occurrence of the name of which we have any knowledge is in 1194 when Ralf the son of Ralf Archedkne is stated to owe 35.3.4d. for a judgment made in the Court of the King, by which he was quit of an appeal in outlawry against him.
In 1230 Ralf Larchdekne was witness to a charter relating to Tresodorn, In 1255 Odo Le Archedekne was one of the justices at Launceston. In 1522 Reymund is described as one of the nobles of Ireland.
In 1277 Thomas le Erecedkne was one of the Knights performing Military Service due from Edmund Earl of Cornwall. He appears as party to a charter relating to Tregony in 1265. He died leaving a son and heir named Geoffry, who died a minor, as appears from an Inquisition taken at Tregony May 4 1529 upon a petition of John le Lercedkne.
He married Elizabeth daughter of John Talbot of Castle Richard, and left 5 daughters Alienore the eldest married Sir Walter Lucy, Margeria, born about 1591 married Sir Thomas Arundel of Tolvene. She died childless Oct 26th 1420 and her beautiful brass, one of the finest in Cornwall, still exists in East Anthony Church. Phillipa married Sir Hugh Courtney, Knight From Alienore and Sir Walter Lucy descended the Lord Vaux.
Sir Warren Lerchedekne died in 1400 and his widow in 1406. She was wealthy. By the Inquisition taken at her death she held the Manors of East Tanton, Penpol, Elercky, Shilingham, Lanyhorne, Landige, Redworthy, Bodewin and other manors in Essex, Shropshire, Hereford, Gloucester, Warwick, Devon and Cornwall. Richard, the third son, died in 1408 leaving one son who died S.P. in whom the heirs male took an end.
Sir John Lercedekne Knight, husband of Cecelia de Haccombe in 1541 endowed the Chantry of Haccombe with the great tithe of St. Hugh de Quidyock in conformity with the wishes of Sir Stephen de Haccombe, who had applied to Bishop Grandisson 1527 - 1528 to erect a parish church at St. Blaze at Haccombe.
The following is the Will of Martin Lerchedkne, Canon of the Cathedral Church at Exeter, made on Monday in the week of Pentecost 1450 at Exeter. He bequeaths to the Lepers at St. Mary Magdalen of Exeter, after a lapse of a month from his death, 5 canonical loaves to be distributed as above, and 12 on the day of his death. To Master Walter Davey his furred robes. He also bequeaths 600 pence to celebrate 600 masses after his death, for his soul and the souls of his parents, and of his brother Sir Michael. Martin was ordained priest and was rector of St. Mawgan in Kerrier, and Canon of Exeter Glasney, Bosham and Crediton,
Michael was instituted to Haccombe and was Canon and Prebend of Kerswell in Crediton, and Prebend of Probus. He resigned both these on his appointnent as Treasurer of Chichester Cathedral. Here the main branch ends but a younger branch seems to have survived the elder.
In 1585 Walter Archdeacon was Sheriff of Cornwall.
The Archdecknes (now represented by Lady Huntingfield) settled at Glavering Hall, Glavering is a hamlet of Hacheston in Suffolk. The Church contains monuments to the Archdekne family,
The Registers date from 1556.
Mr. Andrew Arcedeckne was the original of Harry Foker in the history of Pendennis by 'W.M Thackery.
In the tower of St Keverne church, the arms of the Archdeknes united with those of Pincerna are still to be seen
Mention is made of Polkernogo as early as 11 Oct 1199 the first year of King John's reign,
For this Roger de Tredeford granted to Allan de Cruple and his heirs all the land of Cruplied except Trenor (Manacan)...... and all the land of Polcronogo (Polkanuggo in St. Keverne) to hold of him and his heirs for ever by the free service of 7 yearly for all service save foreign service to be rendered at the feasts of St. Martin and St. Michael.
Westminster 15 oct 1199 before certain justices as to 3 acres of land in Tredeford. Feet of Fines. Hunter 356.
In the Close Rolls under date July 10, 1326, we find Roger de Prediac and Elizabeth his wife, John de Ainets and Sibyl his wife, seeking before the justices against Richard de Porthalla and Elia his wife, two parts of a messuage of two acres of land and two acres of meadow in Porthalla and against Half de Porthalla and Isabella his wife, two parts of a messuage and of two acres of meadow in the same town and against Stephen de Porthallo chaplain.
1249. The tenant of this manor at this early period was William grandson of Ivo. At Launceston on May 2 we find him disputing the right of a knight's fee with Bichard de Beskimer.
Richard gained the day and William acknowledged the said Knight's fee in Rosenithon (Rosegihon) to be the plaintiffs. It was thereupon given up in court. An amicable arrangement being made - that Richard's son and heir should take in marriage Honarata daughter of William. Moreover William gave to John with Honorata 10 bulls, 10 cows, 100 sheep (bidentes) and 40 marks of Silver.
(As very often duels were waged in the law courts, St. Kevern disputes must have been of a mild character).
Later in 1262, 27 Oct, we find Richard de Reskemer, tenant, contesting the right of half acre of ploughland in Roseython, Osbert Ie Sor and Bionisia his wife being the plaintiffs. Richard was acknowledged to be the owner but granted on a quit claim one third part of 2 parts of 1 acre of land he held in Porthcovree (Coverack) and also 1 pair of white gloves or Id at Easter for all service.
Again in 1332 (6 Ed. Ill) 1st July, we find Richard de Merton and Joan his wife, claiming from Walter de Merton and Nicholas Horlock chaplain, 1 mill 2 ploughlands in Roseneython (St. Keverne) and Tregawres (Tregowris). Walter and Nicholas established their right to tenements and advowson, and having done so gave them up in court.
In 1308 this manor belonged to the family of Senesehall. Afterwards it became the property of the Sergeaux from whom it passed by female heirs to the Veres — Earls of Oxford.
Ed IV. 1463. July 19. Patent Bolls. We find the Chancellorship of Rosenithon with other places granted to the Bishop of Exeter during the minority of John Veer son and heir of John Earl of Oxford without rendering anything to the King.
ED IV. 1471 Rosenithon was granted to the king’s brother Richard Duke of Gloucester being forfeited with other estates to the king by John's (Earl of Oxford) rebellion.
Ed. IV. 1475. The above grant was ratified by Act of Parliament at Westminster,
Later Rosenithon became property in moieties of Bev, S, Carew Vyvyan, Bart. and Walter Raleigh Gilbert of Bodmin Priory in right of his wife's sister, and heiress of Rev. John Hoskin of Tregowris. The manor is now in severalities,
Rosuick. Rosewick, Roswick
In Bishop Bromscombe's Register (l257) mention is made of a certain priest being instituted Rector Ecclesia Sancti Crucis de Rosewycke.
The manor of Rosewycke probably included Grade for we find the advowson of the Church at Landewednack attached to this estate in St. Keverne under St. Grade. We have the following .......
In the reign of Ed. I the manor was conveyed by De Repariis to William de St. Margaret. It was afterwards in the Garminows, and then in the Reskymers,
There is still a place, says Drew 1824, in this parish called Roswick the lands of which pay a high rent to a manor in another parish to Sir C. Hawkins Hart. On this estate it is probable the ancient manor stood. There is no doubt that the estate was once much larger than it is now,
The manor of Rosewycke is not mentioned in Domesday (l086) and was probably formed out of others after the date of the Great Survey (Boxer Mayne L.R.C.P. M.R.C.S.)
We find in the Old Church Account Book the following:
Feb. 25rd 1820, Vestry Meeting. Agreed that the road leading from Roswick across Goonhilly Downs which was begun some time ago shall be finished by the parish. Rev. J, Pascoe, Vicar. Mr. Roskruge. Mr. S, Rogers. Churchwardens.
In the Ch. Ingo. of Cornwall we find Trabo under different names inumerated with other possessions relinquished by the Monastery of Beaulieu,
Palmers I. Pat. Rolls. Cornwall. 1609-10. St. Kevern of James 1.
|St. Kirian||Rec Ch|
|Tower of Tresabo||tithes|
|alias Turne Treraboe||Rectory of St. Keverne|
|Tregar alias||belonging to|
|Turne Tregarn||Monas of Beaulieu|
|& St. Kirian|
|of St Kirian||Advow. Vicarage|
The manor of Trabo in St. Keverne belonged to the Priory and this seems to have conveyed part of the adjacent moor now called Goonhilly - some only of the names can be identified.
This manor once belonged to the Priory and Convent of St. Michael and we find this property mentioned in the earliest charters of The Abbey (see records of 1537 Smith's Alien Priory of St. Michael's Mount, page 42).
The rents of the Prior in the vill of Treverabo with the appurtenance were then £22.0.0.
The name Trabo seems to be the outcome of Treverabo, Calem, Tresabo, Traceable, Truraboc, or Traboc.
At the dissolution of the monasteries this manor was included in a lease to the Millitons and Harris, and in a grant to the Earl of Salisbury, by whose son and successor it was sold in 1651 to the ancestor of the late Francis Gregor, Esq., of Trewarthenick.
A Grant made in 1057 gives some idea of the importance attached to Trabo in the past when King Edward the Confessor presented the manor to his favourite Alfred Bishop of Worcester. The boundaries being minutely described.
The Barton of Trebarvath, to which manor all rights were attached, belonged in the reign of Richard the 2nd and Edward the 4th to the Archdeime family whose arms with the Princerna's are engraved on the western wall of the Church Tower.
In 1270 Feet of Fines we find Trebarveth mentioned in a trial at Exeter regarding a knight's fee for that and other estates in St. Keverne.
The Barton latterly became the property of the Lory family from whom it descended to Mr. James Pengilly.
Disputes regarding the above are recorded early in the kingdom's history. Under date 30. Edward I. 12 Nov. 1302 we have the following.
Between Robert son of Walter de Wodena (plaintiff) and John de Hellord Thos. de Tregern and Elena his wife tenants as to 2 parts of 24 shillings rent and 2 parts moity of 2 mills. Trevemina. Truro.
The manor of Tregarn extending to St. Anthony and other parishes mentioned in the Domesday Book was the property of Leofric first Bishop of Exeter in the reign of Edward the Confessor and William 1. It afterwards became the possession of the Earls of Cornwall.
Subsequently for many generations it belonged to the Arundel family. In 1757 it was sold by Rtichard Arundel, Esq., of Lanhern to William Lemon, Bart. From whom the Manor descended to his sister’s son colonel Tremayne
Mention is made of this place as early as 1354. On Oct 15, Edward III at York. Before William de Hule etc. Between Serlo Vyse (claimant) and Richard de Coryton (deforciant) as to manor Benluwyn .........Tregellast. Serlo acknowledged manor & tenements to be right of Richard as by gift from Serlo.
There is no more interesting spot in the ancient parish of St. Keverne than Tregoning.
Here stood the houses of the monks who introduced agriculture, taught the people and built the church.
Leland writes of Tregoning "Ther is a sanctuary with X or Xll dwelling houses, and thereby was a cell of monks but now goon home to ther hed hows. The ruines of the monastery (there never was a monastery here. It was merely a cell at most) were probably the residences and offices of monks sent from Beaulieu to look after this distant possession yet remaineth",
Until recently we are told that traces of a considerable range of buildings were to be found and human remains. A cinerary urn was discovered some years ago and many sculptured stones have been met with on the estate.
The cattle shed is of great age, and from portions of the windows it has been assigned to the 14th Century.
It is interesting to note that in the Hearth Tax returns for 1664 Hannibal Bogans, Esq, is rated on six hearths.
Mention is made of Tregowris as early as 1201. When William, son of Roger, plaintiff and Thos Ie Vil and Richard, son of Simon, tenants went to law about 2 acres of land in Tregaurez (Tregowris in St. Keverne) King John being present at the trial, Thomas acknowledged the land to be the right of William.
For this William granted the land to Thomas by the free service of 4/8 yearly to be rendered at the four terms, 14 pence per term.......
For this Thomas and Richard gave to Williams 2 marks of Silver. 10/-,
Tregowris is again mentioned with Rosenithon 1552, the disputants being Richard de Merton and Walter de Merton.
This Barton was for sometime the seat of the Hoskins. It became the property of W..R. Gilbert through his wife by purchase of John Rogers, Esq., Penrose,
Tregowris seems to have been a place of some note.
In petition to parliament Edward IV mention is made of John Vyvyan and Honor his wife (the heiress of Ferrars) going on pilgrimage to the Chapel of St. James at Tregowris
Trelandvean (Treland Vear).
Treland in St. Keverne parish, either temple town or town notable for land was another district or manor taxed in Domesday Roll and I take it there are yet extant two tenements Treland Vear and Treland Vean i.e. the greater and the les (ire-land), one of those places is the dwelling of John Haynes, Gent. that married Tregose; his father Boggane.
The barton of Ireland was for some time a seat of the Hearne family from whom it passed to Mr. Harris before becoming the property and residence of Mr. James.
Trelanvean Cross is supposed to be standing on its original site,
The Roman-British, or late Celtic, remains found at Trelan show that the manor was a place of importance nearly two thousand years ago.
The account of a Vestry Meeting in the Old Records of St. Keverne, gives the following under date 6 July, 1814. It was resolved to make a road to Trelan in this parish.
In 1302, we find Trelanbyghan (Trelan) the subject of a dispute in the Law Courts. Edward I, 3rd Nov. 1302. Feet of Fines.
Trelayse for many years the seat of the Kenson family was sold by George Kenson circa 1660 to Sampson Sandys, Esq. It afterwards became the property of Rev. John Kempthorne under Will of his grandfather Re, Sampson Sandys, Sector of Landewednack.
In 1302 Grougath and Trelease were the subjects of dispute between Robert de Roswick plaintiff and Hugh Abbot of Hayle,
The manor of Reskymer menage or Manck as called in ancient Rolls belonged to the Reskymers in the 12th Century.
In early part of 17th Century it was vested in the family of Thomas who sold it 1641 to Mr. Pendarvis. The manor, sometimes called Treleaver, was inherited by Lord Dunstanville whose representative J. Basset, Esq., is the present proprietor. (Lake Parochial Hist. See Reskymer Abbot of Beaulieu).
Feet of Fines, On 5 Nov. 1316, at Westminster we find Michael de Insula (claimant) and Thos de Trelyver (deforciant) contesting certain rights.
The farm house of Trembrase was once the seat of the Geares and of the Hills, It now belongs to Sir Vyel Vyvyan. In Patent Rolls 6. Henry VI. 1427, Oct 19 (page 428) mention is made of a pardon to Otto Trembras of Trembras of County Cornwall "gentilman for not appearing before the King's Justices of The Bench to consider William Waryn citizen and cissor or taillour of London touching a plea of debt.
This manor is mentioned very early in the disputes of St. Keverne. The following entries appear in the Feet of Fines.
Westminster. 1246. Easter Day.
Before Hrnry Bathonia etc.
Between Bartaolouiew de Calvo Monto (Trenoweth) and Isabella his wife claimants and William son of Richard opponent as to the manor of Trenewyth - Trenowith Chammon in St. Keverne.
Batholomew and Isabella had a son John (Olivers Monasticon page 56l) The modern name of Chammon is Chamand.
In 1249 mention is made of the Wood Kylmontoce which was presumably adjacent to the manor.
Batholomew and Isabella claimed reasonable estovers for the repair of the house and their mills at Trenowyd in the said wood of Kylemoncote.
In 1329. 5 Ed. III. 25 Jan. We find Michael de Trenwyth (Trenoweth) contesting the claim of Thos. de Ercedekne to the manor of Trebarvath.
The Chamonds were connected by marriage with the Incledons.
After the Chamonds we read of Vivian of Trenoweth, the property having descended to the younger son of Josh. Vyvyan of Trelowarren. John Vyvyan died in 1545.
The first mention of Trevaloe or Trevallack appears to be the one preserved in the Grant from Edward the Confessor of an estate to Bishop Aired 1057.
In 1302, 5 Nov. Edward I, it was a subject of dispute between Thos. de Erchdekne.
This manor purchased by The Lemons of the Tirfusis family in 1786 is the property of the Tremaynes.
Among the natives of Cornwall who particularly distinguished themselves in the revolutionary period in 1471 when Margaret consort of Henry VI returned from France after the Battle of Barnet, was Sir John Arundel of TRERICE who in conjunction with Thomas Courtney marched the forces of Devon and Cornwall to her assistance, and Bichard Vyvyan of TRELOWARREN - a gallant courtier who attended the Earl of Worcester to Ireland in the service of Edward IV.
1473. From Vivians Visitations.
In the time of Queen Elizabeth, Edward Morthe, Gent, qu Thomas Vyvyan Gent def quarter part of lands in Trelege Vean St. Anthony, St. Keverne. Edward Morthe paid Thomas Vyvyan 40 pounds
Petition to Parliament 12. 13th year of Edward 1st. John Vyvyan of Trelowarren, Gent, and Anor his wife, set forth that on the 2nd of August the 12 year of Ed. IV. James Gerves, John Mayowe junior, late of Fowey, Robert Tokie and other servants unto Thomas Tretheive, Esq., coroner of Cornwall arraied in manner of war with thr bows and arrows, swords, bucklers, etc. did lay await to murder him, and his, by his way to the Chapel of St. James, Iregours (Tregoney) on pilgrimage, and maimed John Vyvyan, his wife, and son Richard and murdered one John Morthe, Gent, nevewe and servante to the said John Vivian.